Buying a new necklace or any other jewelry piece is always an exciting experience. However, be sure that you are indeed choosing the right necklace length to make your purchase even more worthwhile. Buying the right length of necklace will also help you maintain optimum comfort when you are wearing it. For guidance on choosing the right necklace length, check out the essential guide that we have put together.
What to Consider When Choosing Necklace Length
Learn about how each necklace length drops on your neck for either men or women. This can help you to better choose the necklace length that best matches your personal preferences.
Standard Lengths for Women’s Necklaces
Women’s necklaces are usually sold in even-inch lengths. Below is the list of lengths in inches that each falls differently on the neck:
- 14” – Wraps closely around the neck; fits like a choker.
- 16” – Falls nicely around the base of the neck like a shirt collar. For a petite-sized woman, this length will hang much more loosely, right on the collarbone. For a plus-sized woman, it may fit like a choker.
- 18” – This is the most popular length for women’s necklaces. It will sit nicely on the collarbone.
- 20” – This length will fall just below the collarbone.
- 22” – This length of women’s necklaces will fall at or slightly above the top of the bust.
Standard Lengths for Men’s Necklaces
Below is the list of lengths in inches that each falls differently on the neck:
- 18” – For smaller necks sizes, this length will sit at the base of the neck.
- 20” – This length will reach the collarbone of an average-sized man.
- 22” – The necklace will fall slightly below the collarbone by several inches.
- 24” – This length will reach just above the sternum.
Choosing the Right Length of Necklace for Women
Choosing the right necklace length can help anyone put together any outfit with ease. With the right length, necklaces can also be the center of attention of a woman’s body. This makes it essential to consider how the different lengths will complement your body so you will get the right length. When selecting the chain length of your necklace, make sure to consider the different features of your body such as your neck, height, body type, and face shape.
Take the time to measure your neck before you head out to shop for your necklace. Use a soft measuring tape and wind it around your neck. On top of your current measurement, add two inches to it to enjoy maximum comfort.
For women below 5’4”, we recommend selecting 16 to 20” of length. Anything longer may overwhelm your body frame. For those with a height between 5’4” to 5’7” or taller, you are free to choose any length.
People always stop at the point where your necklace drops. Hence, avoid necklaces that stop at a spot that you do not want people to see. For women with smaller bust, long layered chains or a long thin chain will look stunning on you.
If you have a round face, avoid chokers or short necklaces. For oval shape, any length or type of necklace is suitable for you. If you have a long-shaped face, soften it with shorter necklaces.